DONATE A HORSE
These are guidelines for acceptance of horses into New York Horse Rescue. They are meant to provide horse donors with basic information regarding their horse's is eligibility for acceptance into NYHR. If you are interested in donating your horse to NYHR, please read the information below. If you feel that your horse qualifies for acceptance, please contact NYHR with all pertinent information.
- First priority is given to horses at the racetrack or at risk of going to the slaughterhouse.
- Thoroughbreds are given priority over other breeds.
- Ex-racehorses that have been in homes and used as pleasure horses are accepted only if they can be adopted immediately.
- Older pleasure horses that are in need of a retirement facility are not eligible for NYHR.
- All horses must be pasture sound.
- All horses must be geldings or mares. Stallions are not eligible for donation.
- Donors must transfer title to NYHR and provide for shipping to NYHR.
Please note that there is usually a waiting list to enter NYHR. The waiting time will vary greatly and there is no way of predicting availability. Our space is limited and we do not have the resources to accommodate everyone. We hope that you understand and try to do the best thing for your horses.
Please complete the Donation Form.